Callout: ACMI X Residency Program open for applications
Staff, graduate students and alumni of The University of Melbourne are eligible to apply for the ACMI X Residency program, which provides co-working opportunities for creative practitioners and researchers in moving image and digital arts technologies.
The University of Melbourne seeks expressions of interest from current staff, graduate students and alumni to be part of this exciting initiative to undertake a residency at ACMI X for a period of 12 months. The program aims to create opportunities for creative practitioners and researchers and enables successful applicants to be a desk-user at the ACMI X co-working space.
The program is open to University of Melbourne staff, graduate students and alumni, and welcomes applications from both creative practitioners and researchers creating projects or undertaking research related to moving image or digital arts technologies, including but not limited to those focusing on users, communities, technologies or industries.
As part of the University of Melbourne partnership with the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI), the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music, the Faculty of Arts and Chancellery have sponsored six permanent desks at ACMI X. ACMI X is inhabited by a digital media creative community, and includes an event space with a lively calendar.
The program includes additional benefits for desk-users such as:
- 24/7 access to ACMI X (Southbank)
- Opportunity to be considered for the ACMIX Xcel Accelerator program (a ten-week immersive business coaching program).
- A curated events program and access to industry networking
- Access to the ACMI Library and high speed internet
- Access to printers and scanners charged pro rata
- Access to communal meeting areas, social hub and kitchen cafe areas with free espresso coffee machine
- Fair use free meeting room access
- Lockable storage, bike parking, discounted car parking, standing desks, showers
- Business mailing address
- Discounted access to ACMI spaces (cinemas, state of the art media and production studios, event spaces) & catering for beta testing and events.
- Discounts and offers from our cultural, industry and festival partners.
- Invitations to networking and industry events – access to exhibition launches and private views
- The program is open to University of Melbourne staff, graduate students and alumni.
- Applicants can apply as individuals or as a project team of up to 3 people
- The program is open to creative practitioners and researchers.
- The program is for projects or research related to moving image or digital arts technologies, including but not limited to those focusing on users, communities, technologies or industries.
The Selection Panel will support projects that deliver research outputs and/ or creative projects aligned with ACMI’s broad aims of making, showing and engaging with the moving image in all its forms.
Creative practitioners and researchers that are interested in also being considered for the ACMIX Xcel Accelerator program are encouraged to apply for the University of Melbourne ACMI X desk-user program
Prior University of Melbourne ACMI X desk-users are welcome to apply.
Applications are now open and close on 16 March 2018.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by 02 April 2018.
The 12-month program will commence 19 April 2018.
How to apply
Apply now via our online form. You will need to supply the following information:
- A short bio of your background, education, areas of research or interest (one A4 page).
- A project description telling us what you intend to do during the program (up to 400 words).
- An outline of the potential creative partnerships that you plan to develop while at ACMI X (up to 400 words).
- If you are also interested in the ACMIX Xcel Accelerator program, please propose your specific interest.
- Proposals for hub events and project presentations you aim to hold during the program.
- The name and contact details of a referee from a current University of Melbourne staff member.
- How many days per week would you regularly access the ACMI X Studio? (e.g. one day per week). Please detail how often/what days of the week/more intense periods of hub interaction etc.
- CV (no more than 2 pages).
Terms and Conditions
Successful applicants will be subject to the terms and conditions of the University of Melbourne and of ACMI X Membership. This includes contributing to hub events and project presentations during the program and participating in an ACMIX UoM program acquittal process.
For more information, please visit their visit the ACMI X website.
Banner image: The ACMI X co-working space. Image supplied.